Free Immigration Clinics, “Know your Rights” Workshops, and Trainings
Through the efforts of its staff, board members, allies, and members, MIJA has been holding community events such as free immigration clinics and “Know your Rights” workshops since 2008. The goal of these events are to empower migrants to fully participate in their communities by informing members about their Constitutional rights, providing legal advice about our immigration laws, and creating safe spaces for migrants to come together without fear of interference.
In 2012, we have provided free legal clinics for immigrants in the West Yellowstone and Gallatin Valley areas, and will be expanding our efforts to other cities with larger migrant communities. As an immigration attorney, our Executive Director, Shahid Haque-Hausrath, provided free legal consultations to dozens of migrants. We also provided health screenings and services in partnership with Community Health Partners, Bozeman Deaconess Hospital, Family Outreach, MSU Nursing and Nutrition students, Tias y Tios students, and Hopa Mountain (a non-profit investing in citizen leaders) who provided free children’s books for migrant families. The clinics were organized by our sister organization, the Gallatin Valley Human Rights Taskforce (“GVHRTF”), which received a grant for the program.
In 2010 and 2011, we conducted free “know your rights” workshops for migrant farmworkers who come to Montana during the summer primarily to pick cherries in the Flathead area. Partnering with Rural Employment Opportunities, Shahid Haque-Hausrath informed these migrants about their Constitutional rights, what to do if they encounter law enforcement, and answered questions about immigration laws.
Throughout the years, our staff and board members have presented numerous free trainings to debunk myths about immigrants, explain our immigration system, and discuss the need for comprehensive immigration reform. These educational courses are intended to shift the divisive rhetoric that is all too common in our current debate about immigration. You can find one of our presentations by clicking here. If you would like to invite us to speak at your group or event, please contact us.
Some of Our Previous Events:
- In May 2010, Mr. Haque-Hausrath presented a training course to The Policy Institute.
- In August 2010, Mr. Haque-Hausrath taught at the Western States Center’s Community Strategic Training Initiative in Portland, Oregon.
- In October 2010, Mr. Haque-Hausrath and Dr. Bethany Letiecq presented an educational seminar at the library in Bozeman, Montana.
- In January 2011, Mr. Haque-Hausrath presented a training to the American Association of University Women in Great Falls, Montana.
- On Thursday, May 17, 2011, Mr. Haque-Hausrath presented a course to attorneys for Continuing Legal Education credit entitled “What Non-Lawyers Need to Know About Immigration Law.”